Sunday 12 February 2012

On Being Different...

Which isn't always so easy to deal with for everyone.  My biggest aim of being a mum is to be able to bring Isla up to love her differences, love others for their differences and to respect it all.  Interesting I'm thinking about this on the day I found out Whitney Houston had died.  We had a chat about her this morning and watched the BBC news video.  I told Isla that I think the most important thing anyone can do is to love themselves to my which my gorgeous five year old's opinion was that she looked like she did. 

I guess sometimes it's hard to tell without taking time to listen more, look deeper or just be there for someone.  I hope Whitney's at peace and acceptance of herself now and free from the pain.

On this note I'd like to share the fabulous single by The L Project - it's beautiful!  It Does Get Better (takes you to the YouTube link and when you like it buy a copy). The profits of the single are to be given in their entirety to LGBT charities: Diversity Role Models and Stonewall.

"Diversity Role Models hope that with the financial gain from the single, they will be able to employ another spokesperson and spread their school visits throughout the UK, instead of only London. Dickson recognises there are many rural areas in the UK which really need to be educated LGBT wise. When Hodges (the song's inspiration) was asked if he thought Diversity Role Models visiting his school would have made a difference to his story, he replied: "Yes definitely! At my school we didn't have anything like that", indicating that if this service had been available it might have bettered his school life."

"The single will be available to download on ITunes, Amazon, CD Baby and other download sites in three different formats. There is a long version, a shorter version and a Karaoke version, which will hopefully become a craze soon. The singles will be available as a trio, or separately, for a price yet unconfirmed but should range from 79p to £1.50."

For more info visit www.thel-project.com

Isla and I are really excited about being bridesmaids at my sister's wedding to her lovely girlfriend later in the year  - it's not always been an easy road to walk for her but I'm very proud and happy for them both.  That's not to say we've not driven each other mad over the last 31 years - we are so very different after all!






If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.  Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment