Wednesday 8 February 2012

Gratitude for vision (or please give your spare specs to me!)

I've had a couple of moments recently where I've been re-reminded how lucky I am.  The last one was this morning - I lost my specs.  For anyone not quite as visually impaired as me you might not quite understand what this meant to me... So if you just imagine a little mole out there in the world trying to find his little blind way around you've probably about got it.... I searched and searched (with my nose hovering about 10cm off my table/floor where they should be) then in the end had to gave up on my gorgeous Vanni specs and went with contact lenses.  I had the choice to do that.  Some people can't, don't and haven't any other option.  And not just when they lose their glasses. They may not have any in the first place.

I'm collecting unwanted spectacles for an amazing project I've been honoured to be involved with a teeny bit last year. Jeremy and Camilla Sherr's Homeopathy for Health in Africa project re-distributes glasses to people who need them in Tanzania and will be pleased to accept your single vision specs, bifocals and varifocals.  I'll happily collect glasses from homes in the Skipton area or you can drop them into John Exley Optician on Otley Street, Skipton who are helping collect them for Homeopathy for Health in Africa.  Camilla Sherr recently mentioned that just about everyone over 40 needs them. That's a lot of specs!

Each time (which fortunately isn't that often!) I lose my glasses I do give thanks that I've got them in the first place... then normally shout Isla to help me look for them (and feel thankful that she can see for miles and has nothing like her mother's mole-vision).  So if you have any spare glasses, friends with a drawer full of unwanted specs please give me a shout or drop them into my favourite Opticians in town.

Many, many thanks!

These became....

these.  They were first bought from John Exley Optician recyled back to there and here they are in Tanzania in their new home...

No comments:

Post a Comment