Tuesday 8 May 2012

Like a Bridge over Troubled Water

I've over indulged in Sex and The City recently and amused myself that lots of my mental wanderings begin with 'I got to wondering...' a phrase used often by Carrie Bradshaw in the series...

So in my nothing like Carrie Bradshaw attire I walked around Embsay reservoir about 7am on a beautiful Saturday morning and, inspired by a little foot bridge, I got to wondering about water, bridges, life, and all sorts.  Mainly does such a thing exist as troubled water? My initial answer was a definite no.  The water itself isn't troubled, that's an emotion we give to it from our perspective.  We've decided it's troubled and oddly enough, til that point I'd probably sung along to Simon and Garfunkel and accepted that it was.  However each water molecule is just being. Perfectly balanced, in tune with where it's supposed to be in the world, be that swirling, falling, crashing into a lake from a 50ft waterfall or lapping the ocean shores.  I moved onto the metaphors with life and how we experience it.  Sometimes life is crashing, freefalling, smooth, beautiful, challenging to negotiate - but troubled? I'm not sure it has to be if we're able to be present in the moment, experiencing it to the full and aware of ourselves.

So after my initial - water can't be troubled moment, I walked on, enjoying the sunshine, the gentle breeze (OK - not quite true... the strong winds), the clanking of the boat masts but then played devil's advocate which I do tend to... What about the incredible work done by Dr Masuro Emoto on the crystals made by water after different words had been said, meditations done and from different sources?  The video attached gives some idea as to the concept here.  The research found that hateful, unpleasant words made disordered, messy crystals and the most beautiful crystals were from pure mountain sources when the words love and gratitude were spoken or thought of.

So maybe I need to backtrack.  It would appear that water can be troubled, less happy but when it's doing it's thing, free and in the moment, my guess is that troubled water doesn't really exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment