Wednesday 2 May 2012

How long will it take?

is often a question we, or really I as I can only fairly speak for myself, am asked.  The answer is not a straightforward one - pretty much like my earlier wafflings on who might come to see a homeopath with what presenting complaint (or reason for walking through the door).

Not everything is a quick fix, although having said that other people can take one remedy, find their problem resolved and walk through the rest of their life with ease.  Difficult to say but this latter type of people may not have been suffering / experiencing their complaint for a long time.  Some homeopaths give an equation around the amount of time someone has had the complaint eg 12 years, and feel that it would take 12 months or so to help them to move to a place of better health ie a month for every year.

I struggle to pick an equation or decide a fixed amount although I think that is as much about me as anything else - I struggled to find a 'routine' with my daughter and even when we did get somewhere such like I insisted in calling it a 'pattern' as felt less fixed to me.  I also eat largely organic, frequently vegetarian food and don't drink alcohol very often - however wouldn't want to label myself with any of these and want to be able to move freely and do as I like (to a limit!)

And although I am often fairly patient, I think I'm somewhat impatient when it comes to wanting to see results - I like to see changes by the first follow up appointment - this doesn't mean I always do, and also am aware sometimes the remedy needs changing, tweaking, giving in a higher potency or it may have been slow to start acting.  So I suppose what I'm saying is that as a result of this desire I work hard to get as good a remedy match for a person as possible - this is one 'box' I'm OK about putting myself into.  And where the results mightn't have been as good as hoped, often after that 2nd appointment you can get closer and more of a change is noted. Cases can be harder to 'crack' - after all we're complex and so very individual things us humans - I'm fairly tough on myself - and I probably often forget that frequently people are coming to see us Homeopaths after they've been through the NHS system and found themselves at the end of the line with either drug choices or options.

But hey - that's how I found myself sitting in front of a Homeopath - no options for frequent headaches and migraines apart from Migraleve as required then Beta Blockers and now I can't remember my last migraine and headaches few and far between.  I am grateful on a daily basis that I'm involved with this amazing system of complementary medicine and the journey that it has brought me on.


2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many homeopaths started out as very ill homeopathic clients? Quite a few it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Mary - I think when you see the potential when being treated or seeing a loved one treated (for me it was my horse that was the first stimulus with her 'incurable' eye disease - John Saxton treated her and it didn't recur all the way up til her death 15 years on) it's illuminating and inspiring and I suppose, can be massively life changing!

    ReplyDelete