Sunday 2 December 2012

Red Root Soup (my new second favourite soup)

Tonight made myself a tasty, tasty dinner and in the spirit of sharing I thought I would divulge my recipe.  It's become my new second favourite soup (I'll share my new favourite when I make it later this week but can't take the credit for that one).

Where possible I like to use organic vegetables - I get mine from the brilliant (IMHO) Riverford - and whilst I'm on that topic, I'd say that the best advice re organic I've been given is to buy as good quality veg as you can afford.  I think it's worth the little extra for the quality, taste and lack of nasties - and find Riverford very reasonable and great service too.

So for my Red Root Soup (to serve 2 with a little left for seconds) you'll need:

2 beetroots
2 sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash /small-ish pumpkin
1 medium red onion
2 cloves of garlic
Handful of green leaves eg watercress/spinach/rocket
1 pint of water
1 veg stock cube
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sesame seeds

Chop the onion, squash, sweet potato and beetroots, peel the garlic cloves and add all the vegetables to a large pan with the oil. Sweat over a medium heat stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the green leaves to the pan and continue to sweat for a further 5 minutes.

Dissolve the stock cube in a pint of boiling water and pour over the veg in the pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Blend in the blender or use a hand blender to mix.

Serve topped with toasted sesame seeds.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment