Tuesday 17 July 2012

'I should'... but why?

I did my first proper open water swimming event at the weekend - fundraising for Homeopathy for Health in Africa and loved it. (Just here: https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/emmacolley1 if you fancy sponsoring me.) Well I loved the second lap of the mile swim we did.  That was when I let go of the 'I should's and let myself fully experience the joy of being in the water, free, supported and in an area of amazing beauty (we were swimming in Ullswater in the Lake District). 

The first lap I was concerned with where I was in relation to everyone else, would I be last? I should be swimming faster... Would I be able to make it round twice? Did I want to make it round twice? Were people going to finish whilst I was still going round the first time? What was I doing all this for? On a conscious level I knew I was doing the event to enjoy, with no pressure or time constraint but interestingly it all crept through nonetheless.

I love open water swimming and often chat as I cruise along but on Sunday, swimming alone (OK I still did chat a bit to random people I met and the steward-y types) I had time for musing to myself on life, love, the universe - that sort of thing.  What came to me most clearly as I got on with swimming was the letting go of 'should's and the liberation and freedom that gave me.  It was with gratitude that I recognised this lesson again and am holding it close to me to observe the other 'should's I may still be hanging onto.

With freedom,

Em :)


Amber from Studio Pilates in Ilkley and I about to swim. Beautiful Ullswater in the background.

 It probably wasn't the best morning to practice extreme hula and Bellis Perennis 200C* helped with the sciatica that ensued from that meaning I swam brilliantly and got a personal best (OK it was always going to be a best being my first race) time too!

*Bellis Perennis, a homeopathic remedy made from the daisy is used in cases of muscle soreness and injuries to the deeper tissues - injuries to nerves with intense soreness.  It's an excellent remedy for sprains and bruises.  Used in sore joints, sciatica, sprains where they feel as though they are contracted as from an elastic band around the joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment