Thursday 19 July 2012

Homoeopathy: Alternative or Complementary?


Personally, and I am aware that it's perhaps a personal preference, I like to think of it as complementary as opposed to alternative.  Alternative suggests by it's very name that it's this or that, whereas for me it's about what's the most suited in the situation. I don't want anyone knocking on my door with a broken leg, but please feel free to come back once it's been set and get a remedy to help the bone to knit together, reduce the bruising and help the healing process. 

Integrated medicine seems to me to be the only logical step forwards - to stop complaining about the weaknesses in different ways of working, focus on the positives and use what is appropriate.  I've seen incredible results using homeopathy with illnesses conventional medicine can do nothing but palliate, but that's not to say that there's not times I'm thankful conventional medicine is available too. 

 Homoeopathy (from the greek - Homo = similar; pathos = suffering) as a therapy works with your body as opposed to at times a more conventional way of working against it.  Like cures like is one of our basic rules  - what makes you sick can cure you (albeit in a potentised, homeopathic remedy). Matching the energy of what's making you ill to a remedy out there in nature may be one of our challenges, but done well it can create harmony and restore health leading to a more vital way of being.

Jan Scholten, a well known Dutch homoeopath says that the deepest level of healing is insight and having been working with homoeopathy for 9 years, I can see this and believe that the depth of insight from a well matched remedy can be astounding, liberating and freeing. 

There is much that homoeopathy can complement in conventional medicine, and once it begins to do so more frequently I believe we will all be able to move forwards as holistically healthy people and practitioners.


No comments:

Post a Comment