Saturday 14 May 2011

I did it - my clothes challenge!

Well it is now a year since I made a pact with myself that I would not buy new clothes (apart from underwear) for myself for a year.  I set it in a place when I hadn't lots of spare money, but also out of an ethical awareness and a desire to recycle or buy recycled clothes.  And also I guess, just out of interest to see if I could do it!

It turns out it was easier than planned, more fun and a whole lot cheaper than I thought.  It helps I've a generous (and somewhat shopaholic) sister - oh and the fact we're the same size apart from my gangly legs is useful too!  I did however get some lovely purchases from Oxfam and also from our fab swap box at work (for anyone who works in a place with other people it's a brilliant idea - just pop things in you don't want, take out the ones you do and when it's too full and the same things have been there for a while empty to a charity shop). 

I aquired a lovely dress from Age Concern to which I added a black ribbon belt, trim around the top and a halterneck band which was probably my best buy over the time.  It's here:


and Isla's dress was bought from a friend so I think our entire combined outfit cost about £20 max.

One of the main bonuses has been the time it's saved - for a not so keen shopper hours saved browsing and wandering in shops (not that I do it that often but the time adds up) as well as saving pennies.  I enjoy the creativity it sparks and if I hadn't set myself the challenge I'd never have sat sewing ribbon on and got the satisfaction when my dress got lots of compliments!

I set my challenge for a year but I enjoyed it, loved fitting a bit of creativity in there amongst being a mum, growing a business, a social life (OK the odd night out or 2) so I think I may just carry on and see how it goes for another year.... Except possibly just to get some new jeans first - think mine are ready to make shorts for summer (time for the sewing machine I think now and Mick - stop rejoycing... he never did like the flowers I embroidered on them...). 

Isla and I have been chatting about making clothes so the next step may be to get back into making my own.  Maybe that'll be the challenge for this year - I'll update you in another 12 months!!

No comments:

Post a Comment